Wednesday

Adding Disqus to Blogger the right way and trouble shooting.

If you follow this blog then you know I have been trying to install a different commenting system to my blogs.

I recently went through some changes on both of my blogs, I changed the layouts on both and I wanted a easier way to communicate with my readers and I felt Disqus was the way to go, however this wasn't as easy as the website claims, for me it wasn't anyway.

Adding Disqus to Blogger the right way and trouble shooting. interwebschic.blogspot.com


If you are having problems installing Disqus to your Blogger hosted blog please keep reading.

These are the steps you need for a successful installation of Disqus.


Adding Disqus to Blogger the right way and trouble shooting. interwebschic.blogspot.com

First blogger configurations.

Turn off Google+ commenting
Allow anyone to comment
No captcha
Comments Embedded.


Adding Disqus to Blogger the right way and trouble shooting. interwebschic.blogspot.com

Disqus Configurations.

1. Sign up for the service you can do that by going here www.Disqus.com.

2. Go to add Disqus to your site in your admin panel and add all the required fields.

3. Go to the setting tab while in the Admins section, a drop box will appear with a list of the blogs you have added.

4. Click the blog you would like to ad disqus to.

5. Click the install tab and choose your platform, for this tutorial we are going to go with blogger.

6. You will see that the second option is to import your comments. This is something you will want to do at this point. So import them to Disqus now by clicking the import link, this will take you through a few screens asking for permission to import your blogs comments say yes to both. One will be for taking the comments and the other will be for giving the comments. Disqus and blogger have to know each other before they can dance together. Once imported move on to the next step.

7. Click on the 1st option Add (blog name) to blogger site.

8. This will take you to a screen where you will add the widget to your blog follow the steps and voila!
Disqus is now apart of your blog, but you may not see it right away. Why? Lets read on.

Trouble shooting

Here are a few issues nobody tells you about for installing Disqus to blogger.

Disqus takes your comments very seriously and wants them protected, so they need to trust blogger and how does Disqus trust blogger? You tell them to trust blogger. How do you do that?

Go back to your settings tabs in Disqus.
Click the Advanced tab
In the third section of options you will see a trusted domains text box.
Type your domain without the http://www.
So you will type it like this YOURSITE.COM or YOURSITE.BLOGSPOT.COM if you have a custom domain with hosting from blogger add both of them.

Another thing to do is make sure your website name is spelled the same way on your blog.
If your site is (My Fancy Website) it cannot be (my fancy website) on Disqus, both have to match exactly.

Once you do all these things do steps 2 through 8 again.

I also have noticed that it takes Disqus a few minuets to appear on a newly published post so don't freak out yet. Check you older posts to see if it is there.

I hope this helps installing Disqus to your Blog.
If you have any trouble please let me know.


If you liked this post please let me know what you think!
Please like & share and dont forget to follow :) http://www.interwebschic.blogspot.com

6 comments:

  1. I've spent the last two days trying to figure out how to install this. I tried it manually and it still didn't work. I'm so happy you wrote this otherwise I never would've figured it out! Thank you so so so much!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! And one that I really needed to read because I currently use Disqus on my Blogger blog (for the past 2 years) and am having some issues.



    Question: If I add my blog URL to the "trusted domain" box (which I've never done before), do I have to reinstall Disqus, going thorugh steps 2-8?


    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope :) your all set! Thanks for the visit! Once you make it a trusted site your troubles should stop, what kind of trouble are you having?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laurie! Thanks so much for responding to my comment. Yes, the main problem I'm having is that many of my readers' comments are disappearing after they hit the publish button. It seems to happen randomly, but lately it's been happening to a lot of my readers when they leave a comment.

    Can I ask you a question? Do you have your Blogger comments turned off in your settings? Because I don't. I can see both both comments in Disqus AND in my Blogger dashboard, so I was wondering if that was causing the problem. However, the comments that are disappearing are not in either places, they just seemed to have vanished. And they're not in my spam box in my Disqus or Blogger dashboard either.

    Again, thank you for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow I never heard of that. Yes your blogger comments should be disabled on blogger. Maybe thats whats happening to your comments. Even after you disable the blogger comments, you will still see them on the blogger dash board. I hope this helps! let me know if you need anything, Also send me a link to your blog so I can visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent, Laurie! I'll try doing that. And thank you SO MUCH for your help!

    If you click on my name next to my avatar, my Disqus profile will pop up and there you will find my blog URL link.

    Have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete