Sunday

How to make your own lip colors


Today I wanted to share with you how I create a lip color I wear often and always get compliments and questions about. First of all let me tell you I do not own a red lipstick. There is nothing wrong with this color but when I go to buy a lipstick it is never red. 

So when I want a little more pop to my lips there are steps I take to achieve this lip color.
 Today I am going to share my method with you.


This is the color we are going to achieve today. I describe it as a plum wine Merlot type color of some gold shimmer. I like this color for the winter months because it adds life to any look.



The are the tools used to get my lip color, I know its a lot of different products but, I also like the fact that I can control the shimmer and depth of the lip color, depending on my mood :)




Before I apply anything to mu lips I always moisturize them and apply my trusty lip primer,
 Lip Insurance from Too Faced. I like this product because it helps fill in fine lines on my lips an gives my lip colors and added staying power.






Second I line and fill in my lips with a dark liner. The one I use is Night Moth from MAC. 
This color is a dark taupe shade with a hint of deep brown.







Third I take Elf Matte Lip Color in Rich Red and apply to my lips over the dark liner.
This step enhances the richness of the lip color but also washes out the harshness of the dark liner.


So I am left with a nice wash of a deep berry color, its not to dark, but at the same time gives color.


Fourth I take a Gold Shadow, anyone will do really, but here I am using Spontaneous from Stilla.
I apply this to the center of my upper and bottom lips.
This step adds depth and dimension to the lips, makes any lip color more fun and unique.


As you can see I have my wine color with a touch gold, now it may seem over whelming, but I promise with will make sense at the end :) 


 Fifth add gloss. any sheer colored gloss will do. I use Revlon Super Lustrous Gloss in snow pink. 
I like this color because it adds shine but no color.



So this is the finished look. I do go over once more with my liner to finish off my lips. 
I love the color, depth, dimension and shine this method gives my lips.

I did not have good lighting to show you on my lips, but here is the finished product.


Lighting still not good haha!
But you get the idea :)

I do love creating different lip colors that suit me and my style.
How to you amp up your lips?

Thanks for visiting! Please like & share this post. Leave me a comment and don't forget to leave your blog links :)

3 comments:

  1. Clo's Beauty SpotMonday, January 06, 2014

    OMG great tips! I would never have thought of doing this x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great Laurie! Such awesome tips. That lip color is to die for! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this great tip with us! I've always wondered how to give the lips some of that extra special shine to the lips! Will definitely have to give this a try! I hope you've been well! xx

    ReplyDelete